The club was originally founded as Acton Golf Club in 1896 and moved to its present location in 1920 after the area surrounding Acton Golf Club was to be developed to create housing after the First World War.
Part of the course was subject to a compulsory purchase order, so prominent Acton member, Sir Sydney Skinner (see photo above) set about searching for a new site. That site is Sudbury Golf Club today, but was then known as Horsenden Farm. The purchase of the freehold cost £18,000 and a sum of £6,250 was agreed for the surrender of the lease from Major E.C. Murray, the land owner.
Having acquired the farmland, Skinner commissioned the celebrated course architect, Harry Colt, to design the new course and the firm of Fowler & Simpson set about fashioning his design. With over 100 men working to create greens, fairways, bunkers, tees, planting trees and shrubs, 14 playable holes were ready within only five weeks. On Friday 2nd April 1920 Sir Sydney hit the first ball off the 1st tee (present day 6th) just two days after being elected Chairman and Club Captain.
Sir Sydney remained as Captain for six years. The present day clubhouse was built in 1921 at least four years before any residential development on the Bridgewater Road and Whitton Avenue. Changes and additions have been made through the years, but the Clubhouse today is very close to the original. The Club owes its very existence to the foresight and generosity of Sir Sydney Martyn Skinner J.P. (1864 – 1941) who became Chairman of the famous store Barkers of Kensington in 1914. It is no wonder that today’s members covet the prestigious Skinner Match-Play Trophy.